Medical services

The primary source of advice to you about treatment of prostate cancer will be your GP and referred medical specialists. However, there are a number of agencies and organisations that may advise about or provide services for people who are considering or who have undertaken treatment for prostate cancer:
  • Cancer Council ACT maintains a comprehensive directory for cancer services. (Note: The individual sections of the directory listed on that web page are kept up to date and the sections of interest can be downloaded as small PDF format files. The overall directory may not be completely up to date.)
  • ACT Department of Health - Cancer Services, Men’s Health, Support Groups. Of the ACT Department of Health’s services, of particular relevance to men who are going to or have had a prostatectomy are education sessions for clients and their partners prior to and after prostatectomy surgery. Details of these sessions can be downloaded from here as a 106 KB file in PDF format.

  • Healthdirect Australia - provides a range of services that are directed at helping people to manage their health, including practical advice and resources, and the means of finding support services, including: access to a 24/7 advice and triage phone service (phone: 1800 022 222), information on managing conditions and diseases, general advice on health and wellbeing, a clinically approved online symptom checker, a searchable database of every approved medicine available in Australia, and a health directory of nearest doctors, pharmacies, hospitals, and other services.
  • The Canberra Hospital, Nurse Care Coordinator, Prostate & Urological Cancers. Phone: 02 6244 3897
  • National Continence Helpline. Phone 1300 330 066. Interpreter service: 13 14 50 (ask for connection to Continence Helpline).
  • Continence assistance: ACT Health provides continence advice and support. Phone (02) 6207 9977 between 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 3:30pm Wednesdays (excluding public holidays). See details here:
  • Relationships Australia.
  • Commonwealth Government's services and information about bladder and bowel problems. The web site provides information about prevention and management of bladder and bowel problems. Members should note that there is a funding scheme named CAPS (Continence Aids Payments Scheme) - see this page on our web site.